If you clicked on this, your organization ranks lower under the search terms than you want it to. Have no fear! The Modthink team is here to help and get you showing up in the first spot on Google.
There are a few different areas you can work in to enhance your Google Search Engine Results Page, or SERP:
How does my business get
one of those boxes on the right of the Search page?
These panels on the right, called ‘Knowledge Panels’ or ‘Knowledge Graphs’, give a huge SEO boost. They show your essential business information in a concise way that takes command of the screen.
As an organization, you need to go to Google My Business to either claim or create a business profile for your business. These Knowledge panels present the results of Google’s Knowledge Graph API, a system aiming to connect and relate all types of information.
To create a panel as a business, you need to do a few things.
- Go to Google My Business and create an account.
- Verify that you are the owner of the business.
- Add/edit all relevant information about your business (phone number, business address, hours, website link)
- Verify your site with the Google Search Console
All of this can lead to getting your company its very own Google Knowledge Panel on the SERP, although you can also go through a more complex process to get a personal knowledge panel.
How do I use Keywords to show up on Google?
There are 2 ways you can use keywords to improve your business’s authority on the Google Search Engine Results Page.
- Keywords through Google Ads for paid media advertising
- Keywords through Yoast SEO Plugin for your website
Google Ads Keywords
To utilize keywords for Google Ads, use the Google Keyword Planner tool. This is a great way to learn what keyword searches exist in relation to your industry, though you can also utilize Neil Patel’s Ubersuggest tool for even further keyword research.
These keywords will be used to trigger your ads for searchers, and you can even target these ads toward specific audiences.
Yoast Keyword Tool
One of the most important things you can do to improve your website’s ranking on the SERP is to fill your website with keywords, consequently making it easier for Google’s spiders to crawl your website, and to understand what your website is saying.
Yoast’s SEO Plugin will analyze your website based on which keyword you set, and determine if the page passes its Search Engine Optimization test or not.
I keep hearing about structured data. What is it and how can it help me?
Structured data is data that is organized in a specific way that helps search engines contextualize information and provide accurate results to searchers. Bottom line: the better your structured data, the better your business ranks and appears on Google. We recommend a few tools needed to understand structured data:
- Schema.org – Go here to learn about the vocabulary Google uses to read structured data, and you can read about Scheme types, identities, and their associated properties.
- Wikidata.org – This is a public domain database prioritized highly by Google’s algorithm. If your business isn’t listed in Wikidata, you’re missing out.
- WordPress Plugins – WordPress plugins will help you structure your website data and give better, more organized results to Google. Our personal favorite is the Schema Pro tool by Astra, and using tools like this will let Google organize your website like this: